Strawberry season is well in full swing this time of year and we're ready for it!
This simple salad has 5 ingredients and is easy to throw together in a pinch.
As you may have heard, eating seasonally is not only better tasting.
But these are ingredients you can pick up from your local Farmer's Market, which means it was harvested within hours of you purchasing and gives you the most nutrition for your buck.
- Salad. Owner of Swamp Rabbit Grocery said to me a week or two ago, she didn't realize salad had such an art to it. Our salad mix changes from season to season, but our core salad green is mild, lightly crunchy, and holds up well in the refrigerator.
- Strawberries. There's a huge difference in locally grown strawberries and what you get at the store. Grab yourself some freshly picked strawberries and enjoy them while they're in season. You can also freeze and preserve strawberries for other uses - smoothies, baked goods, and jellies.
- Walnuts. I've had this salad with raw, toasted, and candied walnuts. They're all great! If you prefer more crunch, toaste them in the oven or toaster oven. If you prefer a more sweet salad, candy them with butter and brown sugar.
- Goat Cheese. Having a creamy cheese is my favorite part of this salad. And it's easy to grab from the farmer's market or make if you have access to goat's milk.
- Balsamic Glaze. This is growing in popularity! I use to only see balsamic glaze at places like Whole Foods, but I'm noticing it now at regular stores like Ingles and Publix. Don't over-do it, because a little goes a long ways in terms of flavor.